Wednesday, August 21, 2013

On With the Story

Convinced that I did not have cancer, I looked forward to getting the surgery done so that I could get back to normal. Not having any kind of surgical procedure since I was 17 months old, I was sort of curious to see what the operating room looked like. After the anesthesia, I had no idea! I was down for the count. Funny, though, when I was wheeled in a month later to get my port-a-cath put in, it came back to me like deja vu. 

They were to remove about one foot of my colon and still leave about four feet. And fortunately it was done by lathroscope, so I only had a few small holes and small cut to deal with.  The surgery was to take about two hours. Well, you know the phrase, "the best laid plans..." They removed the main blockage, but they found another mass on the other side of my colon, and removed my appendix (so I no longer have any reference material in me!). So, the two hour surgery turned into five hours, and they took out three feet of my colon instead of just one. I certainly made Dr. Golzarian work for his money!

I spent four days in the hospital recovering. I must say that my care was first rate by the nurses and staff at Huntsville Hospital. No matter how strong you may think you are, in the hospital you are dependent on others, and I am grateful for all the workers.

The day I went home, though, Dr. Golzarian came in and told me that the blockage they removed was cancerous. So, in the matter of a short period of time, I went from having a blockage removed to cancer patient, just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment