Thursday, August 15, 2013

Port-A-Cath Put in Yesterdsy

I arrived at Huntsville Hospital yesterday at noon to get my port-a-cath inserted in preparation for chemo. It is a small device, similar to an IV, except that it is in my upper chest and lies hidden under the scars- I mean skin. That way, when they do chemo treatments, they stick them in there instead of sticking me in a different place every time. The name port-a-cath, to me, sounds like something you should be able to pick up at the hardware store or something to fix your bathroom with, not an important tool in cancer treatment.  I was 44 when I arrived at the hospital to have it done, and was 48 when they finally started the procedure! When they finally got me in the O.R., though, everything was ok. I was still awake during the first couple of minutes, but the drugs soon made me very comfortable.   I heard one of the surgeon leaders saying, "we have Mr. Heath Jacks here ". It was just the way he said it, it made me feel very important. I was wanting to jump up from the table and take a bow! The procedure, though, was quick and painless , thank God! I could never have lasted a day in the age before the modern convenience of anesthesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment